Most coliforms are harmless residents of soil and will not make people sick. Some strains of E. coli, the most common fecal coliform bacterium, may be pathogens. Some E.coli found in food have been lethal, so their presence should be taken very seriously. Testing for coliform bacteria is inexpensive and their presence indicate that harmful, pathogenic bacteria could possibly enter or exist in the well. So, if a well tests positive for coliform bacteria, follow-up testing for E.coli sometimes is recommended depending on the specific lab test results.
- It is not made for use in drinking water
- It is not the most effective form of chlorine for well disinfection
- It has a poor shelf life, which reduces its potency.
NGWA recommends that water well system professionals use disinfection products certified for drinking water use by NSF International (an independent product testing organization), or other appropriate authorities.
In the disinfection process, the chlorine compound is added to the water in the appropriate concentration to be effective. The chlorinated water is circulated throughout the entire well system until the chlorine smell can be detected at every fixture, such as faucets. Then, the chlorinated water should remain in the system for an appropriate amount of time to kill bacteria or other microorganisms. Once the appropriate amount of time has elapsed, the well system is flushed to remove the chlorine water and dead microorganisms.
- After construction of the well and before the water is consumed. Water from a newly constructed well should test free of bacteria before the water is used.
- After an existing well is serviced. Any time a water well system is opened up, it creates the potential for bacteria to enter the well, so disinfection after servicing helps ensure the water is free of bacteria.
- If there is a visible defect in the well system that could enable bacteria to enter the well. Examples of such defects are a cracked or loose well cap, or damage to the well casing (the vertical pipe that extends above the surface of the ground).
Common problems with well owners attempting to chlorinate their own wells include:
- Over-chlorination and damage to well equipment
- Poor distribution of chlorine compound, resulting in damage to casing, pipe, the pump and pump wire
- Inadequate contact time between the disinfectant and microorganisms in the well
- Failure to remove disinfection-inhibiting factors from the well, thus impeding disinfection effectiveness
- Inability to understand or follow proper disinfection instructions.
Also, chlorine compounds are powerful oxidants that induce chemical reactions. If spilled on grease or oil, the potential for explosion or ignition exists. Breathing chlorine dust or concentrated chlorine vapors can cause damage to mucous tissues.
- A breach in the well system, for instance, a problem with the well casing, pitless adapter, or well cap.
- A concentrated contamination source such as a failing septic system or an animal feedlot that adversely affects groundwater quality in proximity to the well.
- The well needs to be cleaned because debris in the well is preventing disinfectant from making contact with microorganisms.
A qualified water well system professional is best suited to investigate the possible causes of recurring microorganisms in the well. While components of a well system above the ground surface can be inspected visually, other well components are in the subsurface and require the kind of special diagnostic techniques that water well system professionals use. If the presence of bacteria is recurring, consult with a qualified water well system contractor, who can advise you on how to proceed.