Prior to selecting a water well contractor, it is wise to obtain information about several contractors in the area before making a choice.
Some considerations for selecting a water well contractor:
- If your state licenses contractors, make sure you select a licensed contractor to perform the work.
- Is the contractor a member of the National Ground Water Association (NGWA) and/or certified by NGWA? Find out by checking NGWA’s Contractor Lookup. Certification by or membership in NGWA indicates the contractor’s investment in professionalism by joining an association dedicated to supporting and enhancing the expertise of members through continuing education and information exchange.
- What record(s) will the contractor give you upon the construction of a well (i.e., a well log, well construction report)?
- Does the contractor have adequate liability and worker’s compensation insurance to protect you?
- Ask the contractor for references from previous customers.
- Will the contractor furnish a written contract, specifying the terms and conditions of the job?